This blog is a place for me to share with my friends and family what God is teaching me as I run the race of life. I want this to be a place where we can talk about Christ and how He is helping us all. I also want us to use this to encourage and lift up one another in this race!
Hebrews 12:1-2 1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Psalms 2

There are times when you read a passage of the bible and something really jumps out to you. Then there are the times when you read a passage and you think “how does that mean anything to me?” This morning I had one of the later moments. I was reading Psalm number 2. Now when you go read this you are going to say, “how dense is this goober?” I must have been having an off morning or something, but on the third or fourth read the first few verses really struck me. The first 4 verses read:
Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying,“Let us break Their bonds in pieces And cast away Their cords from us.” He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; The Lord shall hold them in derision. 
In the first part of this passage the civilizations of the world are conspiring against God, and His Messiah (sound familiar?). They “take counsel together” against God. They seek to cast him away. The second or third time I read this I started to see the modern world. I almost heard the same words that people use today. Do we not here people openly saying that they want to get rid of God? People in our world want to remove all traces of God. 
The next part of the passage took even longer to sink in. I had to read it several more times to really get it. God sits in the heavens and laughs at the governments of the world that are trying to throw him out. He finds our worlds delusion of power comedic. This is rather comforting. When we worry about the direction the leaders of our country are taking us, we need to remember that the all powerful Lord of the universe is laughing!
I have to be honest here though, I had to look up the word derision to be sure I knew what it meant. My dictionary says that derision is: “contemptuous ridicule or mockery.” Not only is God laughing at the pitiful effort of our countries to remove him, he is mocking them. I am reminded of the child that says “nanny nanny boo boo” when playing tag and he is sure that he can’t be caught! This is a pitiful example because God does not have to run, but you get my point.
We can hear this scripture and take peace. God is sovereign! He knows all things! Thoughts and other scriptures please! That is what this blog is for!

No comments:

Post a Comment